Monday, November 26, 2012

Skype … it used to be much less painful …

This morning Skype tried a forced upgrade and then failed. It hung my Windows 8 system and forced me to reboot. All this about 5 minutes before an important conference call. What is Microsoft thinking?

But it gets better …

image

I have looked at all the installation disks (msi files) at that destination and none of them work. The app cannot be uninstalled. I only want the new one because I am being forced to upgrade. But the new Windows 8 installer seems incapable of dealing with the older Skype version. Or maybe it was badly installed.

No matter … Microsoft has yet another minor black eye in their Windows 8 roll out. I like the OS, but it sure feels like another Vista at times … did the B team really do this one? The timing is right …

Update: I was forced in the end to use the trial version of RevoUninstallerPro to handle it … seems to have done the job.